News : Communications Workers of America Launches Campaign to Fight Layoffs
Sept 17, 2012 -- The Communications Workers of America (CWA) has released a video entitled 'Why Wouldn't You' which features call centre workers from across the US sharing their stories about the impact of losing their jobs and the effect on their lives and families. Since 2006, over 500,000 call centre employees have lost their jobs.
In August, the CWA released a nationwide poll that found broad support for legislation to address concerns about the security and job losses associated with shipping call centre jobs overseas. The poll, conducted by Lake Research Partners, found that 78 percent of voters nationwide have a negative impression of overseas call centres and 53 percent of voters are less likely to vote for their representative if voters learn that he or she voted against call centre legislation in Congress.
Posted by Veronica Silva Cusi, news correspondent
Published: Friday, September 21, 2012
- City Council to Decide on Forgivable Loan
- Mason City Gets Call Center Company, 135 Full-time Jobs
- Comcast to Cut 357 Jobs in Maryland Virginia
- Starwood Hotels and Resorts Plans to Open Wichita Call Center
- Direct Brands to Close Cumberland County Call Center
- AnswerFirst Communications Moves Corporate Headquarters