BASIC FORECAST – STAFFING AND SCHEDULING ( cont’d ) - Eko Wiyanto - ContactCenterWorld.com Blog
After doing calls forecasting in call center, the next process to do is staffing. Staffing is also one important part of people planning in a contact center. Because the staffing process will support contact center to do good performance by making accuracy calculaton of staffing needs. It is greatly affect the performance of the contact center itself.
Can we imagine if a contact center has condition of understaffing, the great impact will be customer satisfaction when contacting the contact center. Customers will be difficult to get the services of the agent. They will be difficult to call to contact center. Customer waiting time will be longer and customers become impatient.
In the other side, there will be possibiity Agent will burn-out because of calls received by agent becomes more and more. Quality of handling also will be lower.
Agent becomes quickly tired because of the calls come in a barrage. The end result is a level of customer satisfaction to be down as a result of the quality of the handling.
In the other situation, where the condition of overstaffing, it will trigger greater cost for the company. Not only from people side, it will impact to operational variable operational / capital costs such as seat requirements, system license, the number of supervisor / team leader and trainer. Also amount cost per call will also be higher in case of overstaffing. Productivity every agent also declined.
By those 2 kinds of situation then we require accuracy of the staffing process.
Some item to be considered in making staffing :
- Define contact center operational hours as a parameter. Contact center with 24/7 operational hours will have been different with a contact center that operates in office hours ( 8am - 5pm ) in terms of staffing calculations.
- Analysis of calls arrivals prediction to determine the staff on phone ( sometimes we call it base staff ) with respect to:
- Call arrival pattern every month.
- Call arrival pattern every week.
- Call arrival pattern in daily and interval / intradays.
- Determine staffing rules for agents such as:
- Working-hours agent within 1 day or 1 week or 1 month.It should be in line with the regulation where the contact center is located.
- Break-hours agent.
- Public Holiday.
- The composition of men and women in an agent contact center if it is operated 24/7,It may different in some area, but it may be considered because the possibiity of regional regulation that does not allow women to work up to early morning because of some others factors.
- Determining variety of shifting hours that will be implemented after analyzing the historical pattern calls or projection.
- Consider skill base if the contact center implements multi skills.
- Should also be considered if contact center has already implemented remote agent, It will be a challenge in determining how to communicate staffing-schedulling and to ensure adherence of scheduling. Nowadays, for this part, technology has already in place to support the activities.
- Historical data report as a reference improvement. This data should be analyzed periodically (daily - weekly - monthly basis) to get the best staffing patterns.
- Determining the shrinkage to maintain agent on phone as needed. Some shrinkage factors are common in contact center:
- Break time.
- Attrition rate.
- Absenteism rate.
- Time spending for training, couching and Counseling.
- Time spending for meeting.
- Time spending for Praying ( if there is any praying time during working hours).
- Others Development program
In the contact center as general, the common calculation base staff will use Erlang formula.
But again, Nowadays, there are several applications to help forecaster to do that, but .... still "Precise, art, and technique of calculation" will be embedded to the forecaster him / her selves as a natural way of working .... ... :-) :-)
Publish Date: November 23, 2012 3:05 PM