Time to upgrade your membership
Take advantage of all the benefits of an executive membership - Click here to upgrade now
Raj Verma - ContactCenterWorld.com Blog
As per American Express Global Customer Service Barometer, companies must place increased emphasis on customer service, well no marks for guessing that one. Some interesting facts ─ according to the survey, American consumers spend 9 % more on companies that provide excellent customer service. Sixty-one percent of Americans surveyed felt that the quality of customer service is absolutely essential given today’s economic environment. But here’s the most important finding - only 37% of Americans felt companies have increased focus on providing quality customer service. So the bottom line according to the survey is that customers are telling companies that they do a bad job of serving them.
And, this issue of customer service is not limited only to the U.S. Similar to their American counterparts; a majority of the consumers in all other countries surveyed felt customer service is the most crucial area for companies in the current economy. But they were equally concerned about the lack of focus on this key area.
Every company today has one or more ways of providing customer service. So if you are a senior customer service executive and wondering why all that investment is not yielding results – think again! In my opinion, the reasons for failure of customer service could be:
- Not ‘listening’ to the customer: are your agents handling the call "really" listening to customer needs and not just hearing them.
- Focus on: Call flow, quality of training and the linkage to the floor reality. Consolidated feedback from internal quality monitoring and customer satisfaction surveys needs to get to the agents in a timely manner.
- Lack of Service Recovery channels: Do you have a service recovery desk?
- Focus on: create a service recovery desk to close loop on the feedback received from various customer experience surveys. Acknowledging the feedback and timely action will help in retaining your customers better
- Lack of innovative approaches in delivering customer service: Most contact centers do not invest in innovative approaches for keeping customers happy.
- Focus on: map your customers journey, it will identify real pain areas; mitigation plans encouraging "self help; online engagement; segregation of services for VIP customers and systems changes The fact that we help them self serve or connect with them before they could, will raise the customer satisfaction levels to newer heights.
Even if you have got all the above right, unless you are able to resolve the pain point of the customer, your customer service levels will always remain low! An article titled ‘Stop Trying to Delight Your Customers' by Harvard Business Review, sums it up well by stating that you can create loyal customers primarily by reducing customer effort, i.e, by helping them solve their problems quickly and easily, and not by delighting them in service interactions with a robotic greeting or thank-you!
Publish Date: November 5, 2013 1:05 PM