How to Strike a Balance Within your Contact Center - Evolve IP - ContactCenterWorld.com Blog
Your contact center needs to strike a tricky balance. On one side, you need to provide excellent customer service to drive more revenue and retain current customers. On the other, you must ensure your team is servicing as many customers as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. Most businesses are adopting Intelligent Automation, IVR & Self-Service applications to maintain this tricky balance.
Did you know?
30% of a customers's interactions with a company's contact center is with an I.V.R. Yet only about 7% of the companies surveyed offer customer solutions through the IVR experience than an agent can provide.
(Source J.D. Power)
The price of resolving a customer need on a call via the IVR versus an agent is a difference.
(source: Al Cook)
Almost one-third of a customer's time is spent in the IVR.
(Source: Al Cook)
Many organizations want the flexibility to let their customers choose the level of self-service they want to address their inquiry or whether they purely want to speak with an agent. This becomes especially useful when the contact center is closed and customers can still get answers to their questions via automation. Not only will voice automation free up your agents to handle more complex cases, but customers can quickly solve basic issues like bill pay, account inquiries, and the many high-volume / low value transactions typically handled by an agent.
Evolve IP’s customers typically see a 20-30% completion rate in these low-value self-service transactions which frees up agents to handle higher level or more sophisticated functions.
For customers that do engage with self-service capabilities during business hours, many customers find that the customer still wants to speak with an agent but their question is more focused in nature reducing in shorter handle times. Typically, they’ve received some information from the automation and now have a follow-up question that requires the skillset of an agent to address.
Integrations Power Automation
Integration is the key to creating an IVR experience that leaves your customers feeling like the service was created just for them. When your IVR knows the entire customer journey, the products they’ve purchased, their financial status, etc. it can make a huge positive impact on the customer experience.
Common scenarios include:
- Self Service applications that empower customers
- Intelligent / data-driven routing provides personalized routing and relevant prompts
- Agents can be presented with key customer information along with the interaction
- An integrated contact history at the agent’s fingertips
- Last agent routing allows organizations to build rapport
Challenges & Considerations
- Consider the “openness” of key business applications / CRM for integration: Integrations can be very easy or very tough depending on how open the underlying platform is to building such an integration. Most modern day applications have robust APIs that enable this type of integration. You will definitely need to take a look “under the covers” to confirm that your application is ready to integrate.
- Ensure the availability of technical resources to participate: Of course, you are going to need help from the technology folks getting access to these functions and everybody has a large pile of technology wishlist items that needs to be sorted through to determine which projects actually see the light of day.
- Start with high-volume / low-value requests for self-service: It’s always great to start with these high-volume interactions like a status request that consumes up valuable agent resources answering simple questions that just need access to the data to answer
- Create a simplified personalized experience with minimal prompts that are relevant to the caller: We’ve had great success simplifying the customer experience by personalizing it. Why ask the caller questions to which you already know the answer? Why offer prompts that aren’t relevant to that customer? Move away from the one-size fits all routing that we all dread.
- Early in the process, design your consolidated reporting across the entire CX: You really want to think about the reporting up-front and not leave that for an after thought. Many times the design of the automation needs to be adjusted to meet the reporting needs. You’d rather get the reporting right the first time than having to go back to the technology well again.
- Recognize the on-going need to optimize automation based upon results: The IVR is a critical moment of customer engagement, and yet it’s frequently left untouched by companies for years. How often have you heard, “Please listen carefully because the menu options have recently changed” and known that the menu actually hasn’t changed in a very long time? That’s because many organizations don’t take the time and energy to experiment, iterate, and improve the IVR.
- Deliver multiple, smaller victories over a phased rollout: My personal philosophy is to have many, small victories instead of the big-bang approach which is always high risk. Iterating through multiple phases of deployments usually results in a better product that builds and learns from the earlier phases.
Evolve IP’s Cloud IVR provides call centers with a higher level of customer interactivity and data driven decision making. This enables call centers to deploy a wide range of self-service and outbound dialing features ultimately freeing up your agents to focus on more complex requests and customers requiring a higher touch.
Publish Date: October 1, 2019 5:00 AM
2020 Buyers Guide Recruitment Products/Services
|2.)||TactiCall Recruitment Services|
TactiCall Recruitment Services
Temporary / Labour Hire / Contingent and Contract Hire
Recruitment Consulting Services
Assessment Centre Design and Facilitation
PH: 07 3831 6333
View more from Evolve IP
Recent Blog Posts:
|Collaboration Killed the Handset||February 5, 2020 5:00 AM|
|How to Strike a Balance Within your Contact Center||October 1, 2019 5:00 AM|
|An Overview of Contact Center Reporting Metrics — Outbound||August 26, 2019 5:00 AM|
|4 Factors to Consider Choosing between On-Premises and Hosted VoIP||November 15, 2018 5:00 AM|
|Call Center KPIs to Track for Success||March 29, 2018 5:00 AM|
|Top Qualities of a Successful Call Center Agent||March 22, 2018 5:00 AM|
|The Complete Guide to Call Center Key Performance Indicators||March 6, 2018 5:00 AM|
|Computer Telephony Integration Software for Call Centers||March 5, 2018 5:00 AM|
|Importance of Omni-channel Communication||September 8, 2017 5:00 AM|
|Key Steps on Call Center Reporting & Analytics||August 22, 2017 5:00 AM|