|Company:||Upstream Works||Location:||Vaughan, Ontario, Canada|
|Posted:||Wednesday, April 28, 2021|
At Upstream Works, we provide software technology for customer care in the rapidly changing social, mobile and multichannel world of the contact center. We are currently expanding our platform to the cloud and we are looking for a Software Engineering Manager who will be a key contributor to the overall business.
So, how do you know you’re our new Software Engineering Manager? At the risk of stating the obvious, you have a technical background in software development and solid experience leading Engineers.
More importantly, you are a trailblazer, determined to add value to a product, to leverage the talents of your co-workers, and translate customer requirements into the best products you can. You are also a detective –driven by the need to understand the complete picture. It’s not just about getting your part done; it’s about understanding all of the pieces, how they fit and work together, and how you can make it better. Beyond that, you know how to get it done, how to motivate others, and how to support your team.
We’ve been building Upstream Works steadily for the past 20 years, and we are moving full speed ahead.
Upstream Works has been built on a solid foundation of truly invested leadership. We’ve formed great business partnerships and lasting friendships; together, this creates a culture of family and fun. Why is our culture so important to us? Because work and life intersect and we believe it’s important to be happy and healthy in both! And we’re not going to sugar coat it – sometimes we work long hours. But we also work hard to make sure you get down time. And when we take time to have some fun as a company, we share that time with the families that support us day to day.
Here's the responsibilities and duties that come with the position:
- Leading a team of Developers and Quality Assurance analysts and managing their daily activities
- Delivering and maintaining the highest quality software based on committed timelines
- Collaborating with your team to understand the challenges our business faces, identify the most impactful opportunities, and craft a roadmap for the team
- Working with your team on preparing architecture documents for upcoming projects
- Working with the developers on your team to break down a project into deliverable chunks of work
- Giving great feedback on code reviews, architecture documents, and more to help support team members making great technical decisions for their projects
- Having 1:1 meetings with your direct reports to make sure they are supported in their career growth and development goals
- Reviewing code contributed by members from your team or other Upstream Works developers reaching out to you for your experience with a given technology or pattern.
Your qualifications are:
- 6+ years of Software Engineering experience
- 4+ years Software Engineering Management
- You have led a team of Engineers within cross-functional teams spanning multiple departments
- You bring a strong sense of pride of ownership and responsibility that you instill actively in your team and colleagues
- You have a passion for finding new ways to measure quality, velocity, business value and any other factors that enhance productivity while promoting an active, healthy culture
- You have demonstrated success in people leadership in software development, particularly with large scale On-premises and SaaS products
- You have strong development skills that allow you to understand and help resolve issues at a technical level
- You have experience managing remote workers and/or outsourced teams
- Your diverse base of knowledge allows you to help your team solve complex technical problems
- The ability to adapt using lessons learned both from successful and unsuccessful projects
- You are a team builder, able to hire the best and brightest engineers in a fast-paced job market—and to coach, develop, and retain engineering talent. You are equally energized by both your own technical work as well as contributing to the career growth of your team
- You have well-founded opinions founded on experience and learning. You are prepared both to voice them and listen to alternatives and you expect the same from your peers.
- You believe in providing honest, actionable feedback to your team, and encourage your team to reciprocate
- You devise roadmaps to guide your team, but aren't beholden to them -- you easily adapt to a constantly changing world
- You have experience supporting DevOps and are familiar with Jenkins, JMeter, Groovy (Java), JIRA, GitHub and CI/CD
- You are a key player. You need to be involved in the architecture and system design
- You can break down user stories and experiences into clear requirements and manageable tasks
- You are a collaborator who loves working with a team to build great solutions. Which is super helpful given that we sit in pods; headsets off; working together on individual pieces that form incredible products
We offer a competitive salary and benefits. We are located at 7777 Weston Road in Woodbridge at the corner of Weston Road and Highway 7. The office is easily accessible by car or transit (both TTC and York Regional Transit). More information about Upstream Works is available at www.upstreamworks.com.
Interested candidates may apply by responding to this job posting only.
And who are we?
At Upstream, we eliminate the causes of headaches by deploying products and services for corporate and enterprise contact centers. We help solve tough problems by integrating software and using analytics to improve efficiency. And, we are proud to say we can do this in the fastest time in the industry.
We are a group of modest, dedicated, hard-working, family-friendly, close-knit people who enjoy Christmas parties, family & friend picnics, and a culture of making the extra effort to do what we say we will, and make sure it benefits all of us. Oh, and axe throwing; sometimes we put dangerous weapons in the hands of our employees and no one gets hurt!
And because we are lean, everyone has the opportunity to make decisions, affect changes and see results right away. You can directly drive the success of the company.
Click Here to Apply Now