Article : Five Steps to Reinventing Quality Management in Contact Centres
Thomas Rødseth, VP of Product & Marketing at Intelecom, says it’s time to follow the lead of smart, successful organisations with a fresh approach to Quality Management.
It’s time to follow the lead of smart, successful organisations with a fresh approach to Quality Management
For years quality management (QM) has remained stuck in a time bubble while the world has moved on. How often have customers complained that your agents sound like robots reading off a script or they feel hurried as agents try to get them off the phone as quickly as possible? That’s because, traditionally, quality has meant focusing purely on tangible performance targets and operating contact centres on a command and control basis.
The truth is quality management of the ‘tick the box' variety is history. Customer experience and a team-based culture are now the name of the game. As contact centres move from a purely service level, metrics and costs model to a valued-based approach that matches customer needs to the ideal product or service and loyalty is paramount, quality management is back in focus.
GO FOR GOLD AND REPRESENT YOUR NATION!
The 2018 13th annual Top Ranking Performers Global Awards are open until 31st Dec 2017
Awards for all levels of staff and a fantastic range of corporate awards for contact centers! Click on the banner for details!
Here are five-steps to re-inventing QM and your overall business in one fell swoop.
- Put the customer at the heart of everything – customer experience now competes head on with the efficiency agenda which has dictated contact centre priorities for decades. Truly listen to the voice of the customer. Why not ask them what makes a quality experience and then build your people, processes and technology around it? Finally, check back in with customers for their direct, honest feedback to make meaningful changes, boost customer satisfaction and ultimately brand loyalty.
- Empower agents – gone are the days when managers operated a command and control contact centre. Agents need freedom to apply their expert knowledge and experienced judgment to deliver the best possible customer service. Rather than treat them like cogs in a restricted, process-driven wheel, make them feel like respected contributors in a collective mission to improve service quality and the customer experience.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement - assessing quality levels is critical. Invest in interaction analytics to monitor the performance of individuals and team compliance against regulatory targets. Use shared dashboards to stay up to speed with top performers and celebrate team successes. Create a culture of continuous improvement with peer-to-peer and self-evaluations of calls to share learning and new ways of interacting with customers. Team leaders are now coaches – encourage them to motivate staff to achieve personal breakthroughs through a mix of quality bootcamps and individual face-to-face sessions.
- You can’t do it alone – involve other parts of the business and encourage collaboration to align quality strategies, provide practical guidance and introduce consistent ways of working for customer-facing teams like sales or marketing. Share customer feedback to improve business processes and support commercial decisions or marketing campaigns.
Align contact centre Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) with the overall goals of the organisation and use relevant management information to discover new trends, gather valuable customer intelligence and business insights that can be shared. A company-wide approach to quality has the power to drive business success.
- Cloud is the way to go - the latest cloud-based contact centre solutions will simplify your QM programme. Record calls to capture the end-to-end experience of the customer even if the call has been transferred outside the contact centre environment or occurs across multiple channels. Implement post-call surveys to elicit customers’ views and automatically generate detailed reports on any feedback captured. Investing in software solutions will improve insight for contact centre managers and arm them with the hard evidence they need to mould their operations for maximum impact.
Follow these five simple steps to become a smart and successful contact centre. Keep the customer in mind, invest in training and retaining agents and be committed to continuous improvement at all levels, inside and out. A fresh approach to QM and building a corporate-wide quality culture is the recipe for success – happy staff, happy customers and healthy profits.
Today's Tip of the Day - Telephone Numbers
More Editorial From Puzzel
About Thomas Rødseth:
Thomas has worked in the telco sector in Europe for over 20 years, including companies such as O2 and Telenor. He has a background in managing large contact centres, employing more than 1,000 agents, giving him first-hand experience of trying to achieve operational efficiencies whilst delivering a great customer experience.
Puzzel (formerly Intelecom) builds on 20 years’ heritage. It was one of the first pioneers to develop a cloud-based contact centre. Puzzel also encompasses leading mobile messaging and mobile payments to deliver a flexible and customisable customer interaction platform to meet the needs of today’s omni-channel and mobile environments. Headquartered in Oslo, Norway, Puzzel employs over 130 people who are all passionate about delivering innovative customer interaction solutions for contact centres and mobile environments.
Published: Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Genesys® powers 25 billion of the world’s best customer experiences each year. Our success comes from connecting employee and customer conversations on any channel, every day. Over 10,000 companies in...
As caring for customers becomes the differentiator that drives consumer spend, Sitel is advancing its position as a world leader in outsourced customer care innovation. With 30 years of industry exper...
StarTek is the customer care expert in business process outsourcing. Our job is to improve and manage the customer experience for our clients. StarTek’s suite of solutions includes sales, order manage...
At Alorica, we only do one thing – we make lives better. How? By creating insanely great experiences for customers — online, on the phone and through social media. From acquisition and sales to custom...