Article : The Future Is Now! A Vision of Customer Engagement in the Contact Center
Today’s empowered customers have altered the ways products, services and, most importantly, information is utilized. Customers, and even prospects, expect effortless, personalized, and cohesive engagements at all times, from anywhere, and any device. In fact, they provide businesses with the information needed to create personalized experiences every time they visit a site, post a comment, and start a search.
Contact centers too need to step up and reset the playing field, and design business interactions around today’s customer choices. Future contact centers will have to use advanced technologies and tools to capture, scrub, and apply predictive and prescriptive analytics to the vast volumes of Big Data generated in order to provide superior customer service.
John Experiences The Future Contact Center
In the present day contact center, a customer has to deal with complex IVR layers, long hold times, heavy traffic, call transfers, problem repetitions, and non-resolution of issues. Let us see how the future will look. John is fictional, but his experience is real time.
John purchased a smartphone from XYZ company with a "need" to make video calls. But after receiving his phone, he finds the camera is not working.
- John dials the contact center; voice biometrics automatically authenticates his profile without seeking additional credentials.
John is an existing customer of XYZ brand. His phone number and voice sample have been fetched from the credit card provider, which was registered in the company’s Contact Center CRM after his last purchase.
Level 1 Experience
A Customer Care Robo IVR welcomes John and congratulates him on his new purchase with a natural voice.
- The robot’s natural voice asks John the reasons for his call and presents the self-service dialogue menu. John replies, "The camera in my new phone doesn’t work."
- The voice interface captures every element of his response, so John need not repeat anything, thus eliminating a major point of frustration with customers.
- John’s queue time is used effectively and seamlessly - there’s no waiting, transfers, or repeats. His problem is immediately heard, examined, and updated.
- Robo IVR provides the right recommendations to fix the problem.
Level 2 Experience
John is unable to follow the technical flow description, and the robot senses his predicament and escalates the issue.
- Speech analytics recognizes John’s agony threshold and moves his problem to Level 2. The system routes John to a live advisor and passes on all core information to her.
- During the call transfer, John gets useful information on the product, warranty, and features. The transfer time is less than 20 seconds, and never beyond 30.
- Advanced Workforce Management (WFM) tools and predictive analytics accurately forecast call center volumes to ensure adequate staffing, so that 95% of the calls are attended to within 20 seconds.
- Advanced ACD (Automatic Call Distribution), which uses McKinsey SATMAP technology, pairs John with the right advisor for personal rapport based on personality traits.
A Human Touch
John is connected to a human advisor who guides him and resolves the problem.
- Once the live advisor answers the call, Omni CRM analyzes the IVR exchange and proactively provides context and instructions to the advisor.
- Even before the advisor has finished self-introduction, the CRM provides her with recommendations and provides links to troubleshooting content.
- She breaks down the problem to John in simple language and diagnoses the smartphone’s glitch over the Internet to isolate the issue. She uses automatically-triggered knowledge base recommendations to identify a workable solution.
- She sets up a video call and takes him through the resolution process step by step. Now that John is relieved to have a working phone, the time is ripe to try a cross-sell/upsell offer.
When Offers Rain, They Pour!
John receives interesting offers and rebates for purchasing a new phone.
- Based on an analysis of John’s demographic and psychographic profile, as well as his online activity and buying history, the solution (embedded with predictive and prescriptive analytics, algorithmic logic, and an omni view of the customer) lists the best personalized offers for John.
- The sample offers include memory upgrade to improve video speed, a free SIM card, reward points redemption and, possibly, a new phone.
- The XYZ company is also opening a new center in Santa Monica, California, less than 0.5 miles away from John’s residence, and is offering additional discounts on the opening day.
- John finds these offers attractive and contextually appropriate.
Proactive Post-Care Is Also Care
The contact center advisor not only resolves John’s complaints, but also follows it up with him, thereby earning his loyalty.
- During John’s interaction, behind the scenes, an auto-survey analyzes the full exchange based on voice tone, stress level, and other indicators. It then provides a CSAT score and quality results for management.
- An e-learning tool captures the screens and call recording as an input for a "great call," which is used in simulated training for new hires.
- Days after the call, John receives a follow-up message from the same advisor to confirm that his problem has been fixed and to check any issues he may need help with. The advisor reveals the company has created a self-service instructional video on John’s problem and the resolution for the benefit of other customers who purchased the same product.
- John is delighted with the overall experience despite his frustration initially. John’s perception of the XYZ smartphone and the company has changed, and he recommends it to others in every social channel.
Seize The Moment
The contact centers of the future will function differently from those of today. Future-looking enterprises will need to:
- Integrate information and processes across the enterprise to deliver a unified view of their customers to enable effective omni-channel conversations.
- Redefine business rules and workflows to ensure algorithmic seamlessness across value chains.
- Harness both structured and unstructured data to direct near-autonomous, intelligently-personalized interactions.
Customers’ desires should be central to business. If contact center services and technologies fail to evolve, and fail to meet the aspirations of the customer of the future as well as gauge omni-channel conversations and customer intent, businesses will face significant gaps in capturing, engaging, or retaining customers. It’s time to take a leap into the future and redesign your contact center business around the new, empowered customer.
Today's Tip of the Day - Be Prompt
More Editorial From Concentrix
About Murali A:
Murali A is the Business Solutions Lead at Minacs Group. In this role, he works closely with new clients to understand their challenges and requirements and builds robust contact center solutions to address their business needs. With over 20 years of experience in KPO/BPO operations, solutions, and sales, his expertise ranges across varied industries like Healthcare, Insurance, and Telecom. Murali holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration from Symbiosis College, India.
Concentrix, a wholly-owned subsidiary of SYNNEX Corporation (NYSE: SNX), is a business services company. We focus on customer engagement and improving business outcomes for over 450 global clients across six continents. Our 100,000+ staff deliver technology-infused, omni-channel customer experience management, marketing optimization, digital, consulting, analytics, and back office solutions in 40+ languages from 125+ delivery centers. We serve automotive; banking and financial services; insurance; healthcare; technology; consumer electronics; media and communications; retail and e-commerce; travel and transportation; and energy and public sector clients.
Published: Monday, September 28, 2015
Genesys® powers 25 billion of the world’s best customer experiences each year. Our success comes from connecting employee and customer conversations on any channel, every day. Over 10,000 companies in...
At CGI, we are in the business of satisfying clients. For more than 35 years, we've partnered with U.S. defense, civilian and intelligence agencies to support their mission-essential needs at every st...
StarTek is the customer care expert in business process outsourcing. Our job is to improve and manage the customer experience for our clients. StarTek’s suite of solutions includes sales, order manage...
With annual revenues of more than $400 million, TransPerfect is the world''s largest privately held provider of language services and technology solutions. From offices in more than 85 cities on six c...