Article : US and UK: Arguably Divided by the Same Language But United by the Same Agent Hurdles
Oscar Wilde famously said that the US and England were divided by a common language. He cannot say the same about the biggest hurdles faced by contact center agents—CSRs based in both geographies were in total unison when it came to the biggest hurdles to providing good customer service. In an industry-first survey of hundreds of agents (including those in the US and the UK), contact center agents worldwide cited the following as the top challenges in providing service when the customer is on the line.
- Finding the right answers to customer questions: 26%
- Different systems/information sources give different answers: 25%
- Hopping from one application/window to another: 20%
- Hard to keep up with all the new information/changes I need to know about: 14%
- Other issues: 15%
Not so surprisingly, the findings closely mirror the main hurdles faced by consumers as was evident from another survey that Forrester Consulting did for us. Agents’ pain points simply get passed over to consumers—after all, CX is also a chain just like the manufacturing supply chain. When we looked for variations across geographies, they were not significant. The following are data specific to the US and the UK:
Nature Of Hurdle:
Finding the right answer to customer questions: USA - 27% UK - 24%
Different systems/info sources give different answers for the same question: USA - 23% UK - 29%
Hopping from one application/window to another: USA - 22% UK - 20%
Hard to keep up with all the new info/changes I need to know about: USA - 12% UK - 12%
Other: USA - 16% UK - 15%
The universal solution to the problem?
- Stay away from channel-specific point products when it comes to customer service solutions
- Implement a smart, unified, omnichannel knowledge management (KM) system for fast, accurate, and consistent answers
- Add proven Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology to help your agents handle more complex problems or provide value-added advice to customers (and prospective customers) with conversational guidance
- Reinvent the agent desktop for the new digital agent (millennial and Gen Z)
- Look for solutions with rich, out-of-the-box features so you don’t waste time and money on customizations for even basic capabilities
- Go with solution providers that offer risk-free KM and AI consumption models that also come with guidance to quick business value offered by domain experts.
Oscar Wilde can rest in peace that language differences aside, the hurdles and the solution to excellent customer service is the same for the US and the UK (and in fact, for the rest of the world, according to the same survey!)
Today's Tip of the Day - Channel Selection
More Editorial From eGain Corporation
About Anand Subramaniam:
Anand Subramaniam is SVP of Marketing for eGain. Prior to eGain, Anand served as an executive in corporate and product marketing, as well as product management and pre-sales roles at companies such as Oracle, Intel and Autodesk as well as startups.
About eGain Corporation:
eGain customer engagement solutions power digital transformation for leading brands. Our top-rated cloud applications for social, mobile, web, and contact centers help clients deliver connected customer journeys in an omnichannel world.
Published: Friday, June 30, 2017
Avaya is a recognized innovator, leading business communications for the digital age. Avaya delivers smart global solutions and technologies for customer and team engagement, unified communications an...
NICE (NASDAQ: NICE), is a worldwide provider of intent-based solutions that capture and analyze interactions and transactions, realize intent, and extract and leverage insights to deliver impact in re...
Aspect Software contact center and workforce optimization solutions engage consumers, empower agents, improve quality, and lower the cost of delivering remarkable experiences. Our cloud, private cloud...
Calabrio is revolutionizing the way enterprises engage their customers with Calabrio ONE, a unified workforce optimization (WFO) suite—including call recording, quality management, workforce managemen...