2017 BEST PRACTICEs CONFERENCES SERIES - BOOK YOUR PLACE TODAY!
EUROPE, Middle EAST & AFRICASTARTS IN:
NORTH and south americasSTARTS IN:
ORLANDO, FL USA
asia pacificSTARTS IN:
KOTA KINABALU, MALAYSIA
News : 1,100 Jobs to be Created at Six Firms Across Wales
Nov 20, 2014 -- More than 1,100 jobs have been announced by six companies across Wales.
It includes 700 posts at accountancy firm Deloitte after hopes were raised in September that it would expand in the new Cardiff enterprise zone.
In Torfaen, Griffin Place Communications will create more than 300 jobs at a new call centre in Cwmbran.
It comes on the eve of an international investment conference in Newport.
The jobs unveiled are:
- Deloitte - 700 jobs - Cardiff. The firm already has 300 staff working at two offices in the city and its global management centre is already based in the enterprise zone.
- Griffin Place Communications (GPC) - 300 jobs - Cwmbran. London firm building a new call centre for other businesses specialising in customer care.
- Raytheon - 50 jobs - Broughton, Flintshire. Aircraft manufacturer's £1m new design centre of excellence and research and development facility.
- Smartpipe Solutions - 44 jobs - Cwmbran. £10m software development and research centre. Set up in London in 2013 it uses customer profiles to provide personalised services across digital platforms.
- SPTS Technologies - 30 jobs - Newport. Research and development posts for hi-tech firm which specialises in innovative micro-electronic devices but is also expanding into biomedical applications.
- Essentra - 20 jobs - Newport. Another 40 jobs safeguarded at packaging company with a new manufacturing facility
First Minister Carwyn Jones, who will visit SPTS Technologies on Thursday, said the announcements were the latest in a steady stream of new investors choosing Wales.
"We operate in a global market and there is global competition for these projects. These companies could have been located anywhere in the world and I am happy to say they all chose to come to Wales," he said.
He said it was a "good news day" for Wales as the jobs were being created in parts of both north and south Wales, across a number of sectors.
He added that they would be jobs for local people.
"We have the skills in Wales, " he told BBC Radio Wales' Good Morning Wales.
"If you look at our universities, they certainly are able to produce the people with the skills that are needed.
"There may be some people who might come down in the initial stages into Wales but in the medium term, certainly, these are jobs for local people."
Although only 30 posts are coming to SPTS, the work will be highly-skilled in researching and developing biomedical devices.
The company, which already makes micro-electrical equipment, is receiving a research and development grant from Welsh government, while four of the other companies are sharing in business finance.
The announcement comes as UK Investment Summit Wales 2014 is due to take place at the Celtic Manor Resort in Newport over the next two days.
The new jobs will for local people, according to First Minister Carwyn Jones. It brings together 250 investors, business leaders and ministers.
'Jobs and prosperity'
Welsh Secretary Stephen Crabb said the UK government had a long term economic plan for "getting right behind Welsh businesses and creating the perfect conditions for growth".
"This week's summit will send a message to the world that we are an ambitious nation that is open for business," he said.
"There has never been a better time for Wales to capitalise on an investment summit - to turn the success of the recent Nato summit into jobs and prosperity so that more people in Wales can benefit from the security of a regular wage."
Posted by Veronica Silva Cusi, news correspondent
Today's Tip of the Day - SWAT Team
More Editorial From Griffin Place Communications
About Griffin Place Communications:
GPC is a privately owned company, providing contact centre solutions.
Deloitte Consulting's Customer Operations and Contact Center Transformation practice provides advisory services on all aspects of Customer Interaction and Contact Center strategy, operations, organization, process, and enabling technology topics with a focus on executable insights and shareholder value.
Published: Friday, November 21, 2014