Nicosia, Cyprus, July, 2022 -- Calls to the 1480 helpline rose by almost 50 per cent compared to last year, a report released by the Cyprus pedagogical institute said on Thursday, as 424 calls were recorded in 2022 against 258 in 2021.
The Helpline 1480 is a service operating within CYberSafety’s framework of activities with the aim of providing children, young people, parents, teachers and society at large with support services regarding safe, responsible, and ethical use of the internet and digital technologies.
CYberSafety is a project co-financed by the EU.
According to the report, of the 424 calls in 2022 to Helpline’s services 96.5 per cent – that is 409 individuals – were from adults and the remaining 3.5 per cent minors.
Most of the callers were women, numbering 264 individuals and 160 were men.
The predominant mode of communication is the telephone with a record of 408 calls, while only 16 individuals used email. Online chat and forms were not used at all.
....NOTE - content continues below this message
DON'T MISS THIS!
We invite you and your colleagues to join us LIVE as we take the highest rated industry conference to the next level! the 2022 World's Best! - join us and the elite in the industry at the 17th annual NEXT GENERATION Contact Center & Customer Engagement GLOBAL Best Practices Conference!
>>>>> FIND OUT MORE: HERE
Of the 409 adults, 29 called to address difficulties regarding children’s and teenagers’ internet activity, while most adults – 380 – called the line seeking support for their own personal needs.
Minors used the line to report personal difficulties on the internet.
In addition, 29 per cent of those calling sought to address matters irrelevant to the line’s services.
Regarding the incidents reported, 47.2 per cent concerned digital crime such as hacking and financial fraud, 13 per cent were on internet literacy matters and 12.3 per cent on privacy of data.
Moreover 11.8 per cent of the incidents concerned internet bullying, 7.1 related to technical support, 6.6 per cent to sexual harassment including sextortion, four cases related to potentially harmful content, 0.7 per cent to long use hours, and 0.5 per cent to advertising and commercialisation.
An increase in reports was also observed in relation to the theft of login credentials and illegally accessing social media profiles of other users.
Additionally, callers said they are on the receiving end of messages from profiles of their internet friends encouraging them to invest in various cryptocurrencies by clicking on links that redirect to web pages asking to fill their social media login information or participate in fraudulent contests.
The line’s response includes helping and guiding users through account recovery processes and also directions on how to be more careful when communicating via the internet. They are also urged to investigate the veracity of the various requests they receive and to not trust messages demanding money or offering gifts while at the same time strengthening their security settings, enabling among other things, two-factor authentication.
Posted by Veronica Silva Cusi, news correspondent
Published: Tuesday, July 26, 2022
|1.)||The House of Contact Centers|
Assess the roadmap to a higher potential for your customer contact center:
• Discover strenghts and opportunities in only 30 minutes.
• Receive a FREE roadmap and actionplan to growth.
• Determine in 39 statements the foundation for a futureproof contact center.
Click on the link below to start your FREE assessment!
Snapshotz is a web-based audit tool with strong analytics that helps large and small organisations understand and benchmark customer experience delivery. Snapshotz reports contain validated CX practices, technology use and operational metrics from over 3,000+ customers globally. These are benchmarked against the ISO 18295 customer service standard, digital service delivery, health & safety and mental health and other global standards enabling validated roadmaps for CX strategy and investment