News : Government Funds Breastfeeding Helpline
Victoria, Australia, February, 2016 -- The federal government will provide funds to allow the Australian Breastfeeding Association to continue its 24-hour helpline.
Acting Health Minister Fiona Nash said funding had been approved for a year from July, allowing the ABA to continue the important service for new mums.
"There is very strong evidence that breastfeeding gives babies the best start in life and provides lasting health benefits," she said in a statement.
The helpline, which takes calls from 88,000 women every year, had faced closure with its funding set to run out at the end of June under health funding cuts.
Senator Nash said the ABA would now have the funding certainty to continue this important service.
"This can be especially important for women and babies in rural and regional Australia, who can get the information and advice they need without travelling long distances," she said in a statement.
Senator Nash said dietary guidelines recommended exclusive breastfeeding of infants until six months, with introduction of solid foods and continued breastfeeding to 12 months and beyond.
Posted by Veronica Silva Cusi, news correspondent
Today's Tip of the Day - Answering Customers’ Questions
Published: Tuesday, February 23, 2016