News : 'Landmark' Deal to Bring Jobs to Scottish Borders
Scottish Borders, Scotland, March 14, 2016 -- The council has announced it has awarded a contract to run its digital services to the global IT and business process services provider, CGI.
It's hoped the 13-year contract will provide the Council with technology to deliver improved customer services and streamlined systems.
Scottish Borders Council has handed global company CGI a contract to run its digital services.
Here's how the council says the deal will benefit the Borders:
- 200 new jobs in the Borders which has a potential to bring £107.1m into the local economy
- 49 existing Council ICT staff will remain working in the Borders
- The creation of a second UK Delivery Centre within the Scottish Borders to service CGI’s UK clients
- Modern Apprenticeships will be created through working with Borders College and schools
- A modern digital platform will make it simpler for residents to interact with the Council and receive feedback
- A new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution will replace SBC’s current Finance and HR systems
- A showcase of options to address some of the major connectivity challenges that exist in the Borders. This includes the unbundling of six exchanges to allow CGI to deliver a superfast broadband offering to schools, communities and businesses
Calum Kerr MP praises "fantastic" deal for the Borders
The Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk MP, Calum Kerr, has responded to the news that 200 ICT jobs are being created in the Borders.
"This is a fantastic announcement for the region and I warmly congratulate Scottish Borders Council and CGI for in putting it in place. It’s a highly imaginative solution which will bring jobs and better IT - both of which we really need - across the Borders." – Calum Kerr MP
Scottish Borders MSP John Lamont has reacted to news that Scottish Borders Council has signed a new ICT contract which will result in the creation of 200 new jobs, by saying the work should be based in Hawick.
"Given the challenging time that Hawick has experienced recently, I strongly believe this is a fantastic opportunity for the Council to do its bit and bring new investment and new jobs to the town.
"Hawick not only has the space and facilities for a major call centre, but it has a willing and enthusiastic work force. Basing the new centre here will have knock on effects for other businesses as well and bring further investment, which can only be good for the town." – John Lamont MSP
Posted by Veronica Silva Cusi, news correspondent
Today's Tip of the Day - Begin With The End
More Editorial From CGI Group
About CGI Group:
At CGI, we are in the business of satisfying clients. For more than 35 years, we've partnered with U.S. defense, civilian and intelligence agencies to support their mission-essential needs at every stage of program, product and business lifecycle. As a global leader in information technology, our portfolio of services is customizable to meet the unique needs of our federal clients. We deliver end-to-end services and solutions including application management, infrastructure management, systems integration and consulting, business process services, and cloud computing.
Published: Wednesday, March 16, 2016