News : MTN Beefs Up Security Amid Ongoing Strike
Johannesburg, South Africa, July 2, 2015 -- Cellphone company, MTN says it has beefed up its contingency plans to ensure that it resumes normal operations.
This comes as a strike by workers affiliated to the Communications Workers Union (CWU), enters its sixth week.
"Our contingency plans are working and the customer call centre operations are improving by the day.
"Our distribiution channels have reported less interruptions," the company said in a written reply to The Citizen yesterday.
The CWU on the other hand, has accused MTN of negotiating in bad faith.
CWU’s campaigns coordinator, Tshepo Matlou said ever since they met with the employer over a week ago, where they agreed that all parties concerned should draft proposals, of which they did, but nothing has been forthcoming from the employer.
"Instead the employer seems to choose to communicate through the media," Matlou said.
Asked what the mood on the ground was among union members who have not been going to work for weeks on end, Matlou said workers have made it clear that they are not prepared to resume duty until such time that their demands and grievances are addressed.
The CWU proposals, include among other things, an 8% for bonuses, salary increases of 12%, as well as the conversion of temporary workers into permanent positions.
Matlou said since Friday last week, the union has seen between 300 and 400 workers joining the CWU as members.
According to Matlou, various cellphone stores, repair stores and call centres have been affected by the strike.
Meanwhile the strike has been marred by violence and intimidation, something which the union has distanced itself from.
Posted by Veronica Silva Cusi, news correspondent
Today's Tip of the Day - What If?
More Editorial From MTN Group
About MTN Group:
MTN Nigeria is part of the MTN Group, one of Africa’s cellular telecommunications company.
Published: Friday, July 3, 2015