News : Outsourcing Sector Records Increased Revenue
Petaling Jaya, July 31, 2014 -- Malaysia's outsourcing sector registered a 27% increase in total revenue to RM1.59 billion in 2013 compared to RM1.25 billion in 2012, led by outsourcing opportunities and projects.
Outsourcing Malaysia, an initiative of the National ICT Association of Malaysia (PIKOM) attributed the positive growth to the government's various initiatives via the Economic Transformation Programme (ETP) and industry-wide efforts.
"There's still a lot of room for improvement as out of this RM1.59 billion in overseas revenue, only 25% is generated by local outsourcing players while the rest of the 75% is by their foreign shared services players that are based in Malaysia," said Outsourcing Malaysia's chairman David Wong.
Wong highlights that there are still many local outsourcing players which only focus on business from the local market only, rather than their global counterparts (established and operating in Malaysia) who are more keen to attract and secure foreign outsourcing business.
He said this is where Outsourcing Malaysia looks to assist small medium businesses (SME), by helping them to move up the value chain to improve their global attractiveness and their overseas income from in-bound outsourcing projects.
Wong urged local outsourcing players to move up the value chain to increase competitive edge and project-outsourcing ability to appeal to global market. He said the largest Malaysian outsourcing company employs only 5,000 staff at the most, as compared with some of the larger outsourcing companies in China and India that are made up of over 100,000 employees.
"Due to Malaysia's population size, it is impossible for Malaysia to compete in terms of volume-driven type of outsourcing projects that naturally require very large scale call centre capacities," says Wong.
"Malaysian players therefore need to start specialising their business service offerings and differentiate themselves from their Asian counterparts. They can look into sectors such as Islamic banking, healthcare, logistics, financial services where the world is constantly looking to outsource to players who can properly service these niche markets with higher sets of skills and expertise," he added.
Posted by Veronica Silva Cusi, news correspondent
Today's Tip of the Day - Expect Shrinkage
More Editorial From Outsourcing Malaysia
About Outsourcing Malaysia:
Outsourcing Malaysia (OM) is an initiative of the Shared Services & Outsourcing (SSO) industry and a chapter of PIKOM, The National ICT Association. It was formed and officiated by Malaysia's Prime Minister back then in 2006. With the support from its founding partner i.e. Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) and senior leaders from the global services industry; this outsourcing consortium aims to enhance the global visibility to provider capabilities in Malaysia (spanning IT, Business Process and Infrastructure Services) while collectively and cohesively enabling global organizations to leverage the multitude of Malaysian capabilities as they work towards adopting services globalization.
Published: Friday, August 1, 2014
Genesys® powers 25 billion of the world’s best customer experiences each year. Our success comes from connecting employee and customer conversations on any channel, every day. Over 10,000 companies in...
Celebrating its 25th year in business in 2015, DATAMARK, Inc. is a business process outsourcing company specializing in high-volume digital mailroom management, document processing/document management...
Genpact is a Business process outsourcing (BPO) company in India. It was formerly a GE owned company called GE Capital International Services or GECIS. It operates from India, China, Guatemala, Hungar...
|Intelenet Global Services|
Intelenet Global Services is an Information Technology Enabled Services (ITES) provider delivering contact center and business process outsourcing (BPO) services to global clients. The company provide...