Industry Research : 80% of Retail Customers First Try to Resolve Their Issue Online Before Contacting Customer Service
Contact centers play a critical role in a retailer's success. Professional agents who are well integrated with the company have a significant impact on sales, customer satisfaction, and loyalty. At the same time, advances in digital technology and artificial intelligence are broadening the role of contact centers in providing customer service across the customer service journey.
Radial and CFI Group surveyed 500 online shoppers to understand their experiences throughout the customer service journey. The resulting feedback underscores the need for retailers to manage digital properties, automated interactions, and live agents in concert to deliver an excellent experience regardless of the path taken by individual customers.
Insights from the report about retail customers include:
Digital Properties Form A Key Step In The Journey
Digital properties for a retailer can include websites, mobile apps, or other online tools and resources.
- 80% try to resolve their issue somewhere online before contacting customer service
- 60% try visiting the retail company website before contacting customer service
- 34% visit the retailer site with a mobile device
- 21% say the company website is "not at all helpful"
- Those who find the website helpful have a satisfaction score of 86 (on a 0-100 scale), compared to 40 for those who see the site as not at all helpful.
Automated Interactions Improve With Visual IVR
Automated interactions involve chatbots or IVR tools that provide enhanced self-serve tools to customers.
- 32% who reach an IVR system try to use it, but say it was insufficient for their needs and that they needed to talk to an agent
- 18% are familiar with Visual IVR
- 55% say they are likely to use Visual IVR if given the option
- Visual IVR is a viable solution for creating an excellent contact center experience.
LIive Agents Must Be Integrated With The Company
Retail contact centers that integrate agents with the rest of the company can expect dividends through greater CLV (customer lifetime value).
- 38% say the agent was well-integrated with the company
- 38% say the agent had a lot of experience
- 49% say the agent was well trained
- 55% say the agent had the tools needed to help
- Customers who experience a professional agent who is well-integrated with the company have higher customer satisfaction (+19%) than the average customer.
Posted by Veronica Silva Cusi, news correspondent
Today's Tip of the Day - CRM Technology
More Editorial From CFI Group
About CFI Group:
CFI Group is a customer satisfaction measurement technology and analytics firm. CFI Group provides a Customer Feedback Management (CFM) technology platform that leverages the science of the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI). This platform continuously measures the customer experience across multiple channels, benchmarks performance, and prioritizes improvements for maximum impact. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, CFI Group serves global clients from a network of offices worldwide.
Radial is the leader in omnichannel commerce technology and operations, enabling brands and retailers to profitably exceed retail customer expectations. Radial's technical, powerful omnichannel solutions connect supply and demand through efficient fulfillment and transportation options, intelligent fraud, payments, and tax systems and personalized customer care services. Hundreds of retailers and brands confidently partner with Radial to simplify their post-click commerce and improve their customer experiences.
Published: Friday, May 11, 2018