Check out The Most Innovative, Highly rated Contact Center World Events EVER!
...Thousands of past delegates agree! - BOOK YOUR PLACE TODAY!
NORTH and south americasSTARTS IN:
ORLANDO, FL USA
asia pacificSTARTS IN:
KOTA KINABALU, MALAYSIA
BEST IN THE WORLDSTARTS IN:
Network, Learn, benchmark in this unique best practice forum with the best practitioners in the World
...who run centers and take your center to new levels of performance, engage staff, improve service and more!
Industry Research : It's Still Good to Talk, So Don't Leave Mobile Out in the Cold
Richard McCrossan, Strategic Business Director at Genesys, discusses how many companies have responded to the proliferation of social media but have not yet made the necessary changes to cater for the rapid growth and expansion of the mobile market. He explains that incorporating mobile as part of a cross-channel strategy provides key benefits and ultimately redefines the customer experience.
A recent study sponsored by Genesys highlighted the fact that 48 per cent of companies are investing in social media initiatives, while only 20 per cent are investing in mobile apps. These figures were further bolstered by a recent Multichannel Survey sponsored by Genesys and contact centre technology company, ProtoCall One, that found that the phone was rated as the most important contact channel for companies to engage with their customers – 41 per cent of the respondents said that the phone is the easiest channel for their customers to use. The survey further revealed that only 17 per cent of the respondents have a mobile customer service app, while the remaining 83 per cent do not.
Gaining business insights into customer behaviour
With increasing numbers of customers using mobile technology, customer preferences that are displayed on mobile devices offer a potentially rich source of information about their attitudes and habits. They represent valuable opportunities for companies to gain business insights, observe trends, enhance communication and improve the customer experience. And if businesses optimise their mobile strategy, they can hone their marketing programmes to better target and retain customers.
But while customers are demanding richer and more personalised mobile customer experiences, our research is showing that many organisations' customer service departments remain disconnected from the company's mobile applications.
Mobile transactional apps fall short on customer engagement
I think the reason for this is two-fold: firstly, businesses have become pre-occupied with integrating social media into their customer service, and the second reason lies in the fact that in the rush to develop mobile apps, many companies have simply resorted to moving existing marketing or Web applications to a mobile platform. Typically, these apps fulfil a transactional function, where they enable users to check a balance or flight schedule. They offer little in the way of customer engagement.
This is especially frustrating for mobile-using customers who often find that there is no immediate way to contact a customer service agent when they need live assistance. Instead, they have to exit the mobile app and find the correct contact centre number to call for their query. As a result, customers are forced to wait on hold, re-authenticate themselves, navigate through complex phone menus once more, and repeat the nature of their call when they are eventually connected to the correct person. Given this reason, it is unsurprising that one in four mobile customer service apps are abandoned with less than 10 per cent actively used.
Integrating mobile as part of a cross-channel strategy
To address the needs of today’s consumers, companies must develop an effective holistic strategy, one that incorporates a common set of enterprise capabilities that can be accessed anywhere, regardless of the channel.
Today's Tip of the Day - What Do You Want To Accomplish?
More Editorial From Genesys
Customer Experience is the heart of every business! Genesys, a provider of omni-channel customer engagement and contact center solutions can ensure you provide the best experience possible. With more than 3,000 customers in 80 countries, Genesys orchestrates more than 100 million customer interactions every day across the contact center and back office, helping companies deliver fast and optimal levels of customer service with a highly personalized cross-channel customer experience. Genesys also prioritizes the flow of work to back office personnel resulting from any customer interaction, internal workflow or business application, optimizing the performance and satisfaction of customer-facing employees across the enterprise.
Published: Tuesday, January 29, 2013